Saturday, June 18, 2011

For All You Travel Readers Out There

Sorry I've been away for a few weeks now. I've been a bit preoccupied, but I am back and have some more reading recommendations for you guys!

The Good Girl’s Guide to Getting Lost by Rachel Friedman: Rachel Friedman certainly has an interesting and exciting story to tell in “The Good Girl’s Guide to Getting Lost.” Traveling to Ireland, Australia, and South America, Friedman and a girl she meets in Ireland, both try out new and exciting adventures. To get the perspective of someone who’s followed the rules most of her life, done was is expected of her, and finds accomplishment in even the smallest of things, I found that I could really relate to Rachel Friedman. The way she talks about arriving at the airport in Ireland and her attempts to get to her hostel unscathed…I could definitely see myself in her shoes. This book is a fabulous read and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to stop with the excuses and just get out there and see the world. Friedman brings to light many of the excuses we Americans make for not traveling and sadly…I’ve heard myself making those very same excuses.


Whose Panties Are These? By Jennifer Leo: If you want a book filled with hilarious tales of women’s travels, then I highly suggest you pick up this book. Not only will you read about a woman having hemorrhoid problems in Holland while she hopes to have a romantic getaway with her fiancĂ©, but you will also read about a woman who experiences what it is like to have a bug crawl into her ear and the nonchalant attitude of her husband, as well as a woman who wonders if eating Lebanese chicken will make her breasts bigger. I never turn down a book that deals with humorous travel experiences. For those of us who have yet to set out on our own major adventures, it helps to relieve the tension when reading about other mishaps along the way.

Italian for Beginners by Kristin Harmel: A good friend of mine sent me this book and included a very heartfelt note inside telling me that from one Roman Holiday lover to another, this would be a great book for me to read. Normally, I am not a travel fiction kind of ready; however, this one was so incredibly good that it was hard for me to put down. I literally found myself turning the pages and getting lost in the story. I love books like that, ones that keep you so engrossed that the thought of having to put it up makes you mad. This is a book that details the life of a 34-year-old woman, Cat Connelly, who is quite unlucky in love. She also has mommy issues. She goes to Rome to see a long lost love and finds out he’s a dud. However, along the way, she meets Marco, Nico, and Karina, as well as a few other fun characters, and soon finds herself dealing with old “ghosts,” all while finding her true self.

Go Your Own Way by Christina Henry de Tassen: I read this while I was on vacation and honestly, I’d probably give it a 3 out 5 stars when rating it. It is a book that is much similar to Whose Panties Are These? But it is much more serious. These women tell their stories about traveling the world and only at times are some of these stories humorous. Mostly, you learn about the experiences of women traveling solo and the challenges they can sometimes face. It is a good book and I would recommend it, but just be aware that if you are looking for something more light-hearted, you might try Jennifer Leo’s books.

What are you guys reading and what travel books do you recommend?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great recommendations! I will definitely be checking them out, especially Whose panties are these?
And I LOVE Roman Holiday. I think Gregory Peck is quite the stud.

Traveler24 said...

I would most definitely agree Alyssa! Gregory Peck looked quite dashing in that movie :)

Meri said...

I've read a couple of Kristin Harmel's books, including Italian for Beginners- great "getaway" books that make me want to hop on a plane! I'm going to check the rest out via my local library, thanks!

iuli said...

So glad you enjoyed Italian For Beginners - such a good one! Also try The Art of French Kissing! Very cute!

Post a Comment